FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
April 12, 2023
“KNOW YOUR HOUSING RIGHTS” WORKSHOP
Fair and safe housing for all
Lafayette, LA – The Lafayette Consolidated Government (LCG) Community Development and Planning Department and Louisiana Fair Housing Action Center are offering a free “Know Your Housing Rights” Workshop for renters, advocates, landlords, realtors, property managers, and maintenance workers. The workshop will educate participants on fair housing rights as a tenant, the importance of fair housing, and general knowledge of fair housing laws.
“We are encouraging anyone in the housing sphere to participate in this free workshop so that we can ensure Lafayette is meeting the basic principles of guaranteeing fair and safe housing for all renters,” LCG Human Services Manager Belle LeBlanc said. “Access to knowledge is the first step to doing that. We are so grateful to LA Fair Housing Action Center for co-hosting this workshop and sharing their expertise with our community.” The presenter will be Louisiana Fair Housing Action Center Education and Outreach Director Renee Corrigan. Acadiana Legal Service Corporation will also share information about its new Housing Unit and other available community services.
Training will cover:
- How fair housing laws protect you
- Common types of housing discrimination
- Fair housing protections for people with disabilities and how to request accommodations and modifications
- Criminal background screening policies
- How to recognize warning signs of discrimination and what to do if you think you’ve been discriminated against
- Landlord-tenant law basics, including leases, repairs, and evictions
The “Know Your Housing Rights” Workshop will be held on Tuesday, April 25, 2023, in the Clifton Chenier Auditorium at 220 W. Willow Street from 5:30-7:30 p.m. Doors open at 5 p.m.
The workshop is sponsored by a grant from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.
Registration is required. Call 337-291-5450 to sign up.