by KAREN LAGRANGE COX
In April 2023, BY Local News (BYLN) wrote about the Broussard Economic Development Corporation (BEDC) on what it is and does. In May 2023, BYLN followed up with an article on Retail Ready Sites: Fueling Economic Growth in Broussard.
This month, June 2023, BYLN lists some of the Accomplishments of BEDC.
Economic Growth Accomplishments
- BEDC participates in Louisiana’s Certified Sites Program. Its participation assists business clients within Broussard or those considering moving to Broussard to provide economic development incentives and programs or work with landowners to prepare sites to make their development ready through the state’s site certification program.
- BEDC created Broussard’s Retail Ready Sites Initiative. This initiative refers to strategically planned areas within Broussard primed for commercial development.
- BEDC hosts a Broussard Community Job Fair that enables employers and job seekers opportunities to connect to help increase/maintain employment in Broussard.. The job fair is held in connection with the Broussard Chamber of Commerce and the City of Broussard.
- Held a Developer and Commercial Realtor Luncheon. This luncheon offered an opportunity for attendees to learn about the continuous growth in the Broussard area.
- Held a Manufacturing Industry Education Luncheon. According to BEDC’s Facebook page, this event is manufacturing’s biggest annual opportunity to inspire the next generation about the industry and careers in modern manufacturing.
BEDC has undertaken various initiatives to promote tourism within the City of Broussard. Some of its accomplishments to date include:
- BEDC has provided matching funds to support the launch of the City of Broussard’s tourism website and application, DiscoverBroussard.com.
- BEDC supports the monthly French Round Table held at the Valsin Broussard House at 408 West Main Street in Broussard. The French Round Table allows attendees to speak in French, practice French, or learn French. It is usually held on the second Friday of each month.
- Tourism advertising and brochures were created and printed to promote the City of Broussard statewide through the Louisiana Office of Tourism.
- Continue to form and develop relationships with the twinning of the City of Broussard’s sister cities in Canada and Belgium.
- BEDC hosted officials from the Grand Réveil Acadien / Great Acadian Awakening. This event celebrates the survival of the Acadians’ heritage, culture, and language. John Harold Broussard, who is a board member and vice-president of BEDC, and his wife, and Joey and Collette Anazlone hosted the mayor and council members of Cap-Pelé in New Brunswick, Canada, during the Grand Réveil Acadien. The French Immersion teacher at LeBlanc Elementary School in Erath was also hosted during the event.
- Community Development / Quality of Life Initiatives – Provides seed funding to the Broussard Chamber of Commerce to host annual quality of life events hosted for the City of Broussard)
- Independence Day Festival is an annual event that includes live music; disk jockey, face painting; fun jumps with other kids activities; a firework display, and more.
- Annual Christmas Activities include Noel En Broussard, which includes the lighting of the Christmas Tree in front of City Hall, Papa Noel’s Market, and the Broussard Christmas Parade.
- Springtime Festival (Beausoleil Festival & Jambalaya Cook-off) and Fall Concert (Music On Main, formerly St. Julien Jams).
The mission of the Broussard Economic Development Corporation (BEDC) “is to serve the community of Broussard and its elected governing entity by identifying opportunities for long-term economic growth, financial sustainability, and a meaningful quality of life.”
To learn more about the Broussard Economic Development Corporation, visit its website.