by KAREN LAGRANGE COX
Golf Cart Santa (GCS) is entering their eighth year of bringing some fun and joy to Broussard neighborhoods during the month of December. GCS consists of a variety of Christmas themed decorated golf carts which visit neighborhoods and some common areas in Broussard. It is a joyful, magical celebration with dancing, lights, music, three lit up golf carts, three decorated trailers, three bubble machines, a large nativity, sleigh with reindeer, and much more.
The GCS real life team consists of Mark (Santa) and Christianna (Mrs. Claus) Gallagher and family, along with the Sopranos, Callais, Bertrand, Bourgeois and Lorio families. The City of Broussard, the mayor, the city hall staff and the Broussard Chamber of Commerce have been supportive of GCS. The Broussard Police and Fire Departments escorts to help them which allows GCS to visit more people.
Christianna Gallagher said it all started with a simple golf cart with Christmas lights, music and Christmas inflatable décor with only the Gallagher family. She continued by saying they wanted to spread the joy of Christ and cheer folks up with lots of laughter during Christmas time. More and more people in the community started requesting them to go to their neighborhood with the celebration.
Now they have six families of elves as well as the Broussard Fire Department and Police Department. They serve the Broussard community nine nights and visit twenty-nine neighborhoods and have eight community stops for everyone to join in.
At each dance stop listed on their schedule Santa and Mrs. Claus perform a Cajun dance and two elf dances. Last year they handed out eight thousand candy canes and twenty-five hundred prayer cards. Gallagher said, “We love sharing joy and God’s love with their community”. She added, “It is hard to describe to someone. It is really special and we love seeing adults feel like kids again getting caught up in the magic of the experience that is great for all ages.”
Their opening night is December 3 with the lighting of the Broussard Christmas Tree.
Subject to Change and Weather Permitting. GCS states due to large demands, they will not be stopping for photos. Bold Areas represent common stops for all.
- December 3 – Lighting of the Christmas Tree at Broussard City Hall, St. Pierre, The Reserve, Wise Street
- December 4 – Riché’s Y-Not Stop, Lexi Falls, Sugar Trace, Sugar Trace South
- December 6 – Broussard Commons at Saketini, Huval Holiday, Village of Broussard, Hogan Estates
- December 10 – Emmy’s Ice Cream Bar, Mon Jardin, Southfield
- December 14 – Cypress Crossing, Deer Meadow, Paige Place
- December 16 – Riché’s Y-Not Stop, Ride for Lane at Sable Palms 3, Cypress Meadows, Wise Street
- December 17 – Stine’s, Meadow Bend, Sable Palms 1 & 2
- December 20 – Ella Trace, Crystal Cove, Carriage Lakes, Island Oaks
- December 23 – Stine’s, Jordan Estates, Riché’s Y-Not Stop, Wise Street